Maybe you’re a big fan of watches. Maybe you aren’t. One thing is for sure is that a watch can be an accessory that gives a peek into your character.
Many people are opting not to wear watches nowadays because they use their mobile phones to keep track of the time. But a watch is not just for time telling. It is a statement piece, a part of your dress that shouldn’t be missing. For some, it is an investment opportunity.
Reasons why you should buy a watch
Apart from telling the time, a watch can serve many purposes nowadays. Remember that watches have evolved over the years and some have added features that can be helpful at some point or the other.
Watches are practical
You may think you have your cell phone to remind you of appointments, wake you up, monitor your heartbeat and even tell the time in other locations. Well, guess what, a watch can do all of these things and it may be less likely to have a dead battery just when you need it to work.
If you think your cell phone suffices for these functions, you should consider a backup device. It may just help you to make it to that appointment on time.
Watches are prestigious
If you are a woman who has sought after watches before, you will know that there are some watches that cost ‘an arm and a leg’. Watches add certain elegance and as such, they can fetch some very high price tags.
Some people think that because they are so graceful, they are amongst the highest forms of elegance in jewelry.
Watches are fashionable
Females usually love to accessorize to enhance their outfits and a watch is a great accessory for any outfit. Whether you are dressing casually or you are attending a formal event, there is a watch that will coordinate perfectly with that dress.
Watches can be used as an heirloom
If you make a very good investment in a watch, you may want to ensure that it remains functional for years to come. You can pass it on to your child or another family member, keeping it in the family. Don’t forget that it may increase in value and become very valuable in the future.
The main parts of a watch
As small as a watch is, it is made up of many small parts. Let us get acquainted with some of these parts.
- Case: the part of the watch that has all the internal parts. It is usually made of stainless steel but it can be made of a variety of materials.
- Band: the straps that are attached to the watch case. The band secures the watch to your wrist.
- Face: this is where the time is displayed.
- Hands: these are only found in an analog watch. They point to numbers or symbols that represent numbers so you can tell the time. The shorter hand points to the hour while the longer one tells the minutes.
Things to consider when buying a new watch
Sometimes it can get a bit confusing when you are trying to purchase a new watch. There are so many brands, styles, colors, shapes, sizes and designs.
How could you possibly narrow it down to a few that you can choose from? Then you finally narrow it down but you are still confused because they all look alike and you are unsure which one is the best one.
Here are some things to think about as you make your selections.
Conduct some research on different watch brands
It doesn’t make sense to buy a watch brand that you know nothing about. Learn about the watch brands that have caught your eye. Check their brand history. Are they reputable? What are other users saying about them?
Find forums or post questions to the general public and get their opinion. If you have a local jeweler who will give you an unbiased opinion, you may ask their opinion as well. The more informed you are, the better your choice will be.
Determine how much money you are willing to spend
Not everyone can dip in their pockets and buy a Rolex. If you have to come up with a budget, it may be best for you to do it before you start looking at watches.
It will determine the brands and types of watches that you look at. If your budget is unrealistic, you can always make adjustments.
Determine what you are looking for in a watch
This is one of the most important steps in finding the best watch to suit your needs. Are you looking for something simple, elegant, extremely stylish or with bold prints etc?
The type of watch that you are looking for may even determine the brands that you should check out. Some brands are more known for unique and bold designs than others. Narrowing it down will help you a lot in your quest.
Purchase your watch from a reputable seller
Not everyone will purchase their watch directly from the manufacturer. You may decide to use Amazon, eBay or a local jewelry store. Wherever you decide to make your purchase, check to see if they are a licensed seller of that brand and if they are known to sell authentic products.
It is always good to shop around for deals but be careful – the cheapest ‘brand’ may not be the best value for money.
Analog vs Digital
Watches can be classified as analog or digital. For some reason, digital watches are more casual and are usually made with materials that can withstand harsh environments because they are expected to experience a lot of wear and tear.
Some analog watches are designed similarly, but there are many analog watches that are designed to give more of a formal look and they have a much more elegant and classy look.
Analog and digital simply refer to the display of the watch. Analog watches look more like a clock face and have hands that spin to tell the time. On the contrary, digital watches only display numbers or digits so there are no moving parts.
Whichever you choose has a lot to do with your personal preference as they both can be just as accurate.
Tips for first-time watch owners
If you have never owned a watch before you may want to read these tips so you will know how to wear and care for your new watch. If you have owned a watch before, you should still read through these tips because you may just learn something new.
- There is no right or wrong way to wear a watch. It is traditional that if you are a lefty you wear your watch on your right hand and vice versa. It allows for more comfort but there’s nothing wrong with breaking this tradition.
- How loosely you wear your watch is based on your personal preference. It is not a good look if your watch is squeezing your skin tightly, plus it is not good for proper blood flow so try to avoid that. Otherwise, it’s your choice.
- You can wear your watch so it points to the sky or to the ground. Once again, this is your choice but note that the watch face may get scratched more easily if it is facing down.
- Do not try to clean the inside of your watch. Instead clean the exterior with water and a small amount of dishwashing liquid using a soft toothbrush. Make sure that watch is water resistant before applying this to the watch face.
- The way you clean your watch bands will depend on the material that it is made of. Check for cleaning solutions for your type of band.
- Get your watch serviced every 3 – 5 years by a watch maker or specialist.
- If your battery dies, get it replaced.
|Daniel Wellington Women’s 0901DW Sheffield Analog Quartz Black Leather Watch||$$||4.4/5|
|Daniel Wellington Women’s 0508DW Sheffield Analog Quartz Black Leather Watch||$$||4.5/5|
|Daniel Wellington Women’s 0507DW Classic St. Mawes Stainless Steel Watch with Brown Band||$$||4.5/5|
|Michael Kors Women’s Runway Gold-Tone Watch MK3131||$$$||4.6/5|
|Casio Women’s LRW200H-7BVCF Watch||$||4.4/5|
|Seiko Women’s SUP176 Swarovski Crystal-Accented Stainless Steel Solar Watch||$$$||4.7/5|
The Daniel Wellington Women’s 0901DW Sheffield Analog Quartz Black Leather Watch is a beautifully-designed watch that is water resistant up to 30m. The watch features a round dial with very stunning Swarovski crystals. It uses quartz movement for its analog display and features genuine leather bands.
If you are familiar with watches and can spot a premium watch very quickly, you will fall in love with this watch after a glance. The face of the watch has a gold tone case and stainless steel behind and if you usually have trouble finding watches that can fit your small hand, you are at the right place. The buckle closure of the watch allows it to fit a variety of hand sizes.
- Gold tone case that beautifully complements the round watch face
- Black genuine leather band (made from Italian calfskin) with top stitching
- White dial with Swarovski crystals
- 26mm stainless steel case with a mineral dial window
- Buckle closure
- Water resistant up to 30m
- 2 year warranty from Asurion
- The watch can be worn with many types of outfits because of its simple yet elegant design.
- The watch is sold at a very reasonable price.
- The strap may get detached from the watch face quite easily.
If you are trying to find a watch that can transition easily from daytime to special occasion, you have found it. The Daniel Wellington Women’s 0901DW Sheffield Analog Quartz Black Leather Watch is a perfect combination of simplicity and sophistication.
Equipped with reliable quartz movement, the Daniel Wellington Women’s 0508DW Sheffield Analog Quartz Black Leather Watch is an imported watch with leather bands and a buckle closure.
It is obvious from its design that this watch was designed specifically with stylish and classy women in mind. The bezel of the watch has a stunning gold tone and as an added feature, the watch is water resistant up to 30m.
In keeping with its design, there are stick hour markers in the dial and the leather bands boast quality tonal stitching. To complement these features and to add to its durability, the watch face is specially designed to be scratch resistant.
- Rose gold tone watch (36mm in diameter)
- Quartz movement
- Analog display
- Stick hour markers inside the white dial
- Tonal stitching on both bands
- Baton shaped hands and logo in the dial
- Leather calfskin bands
- Buckle closure
- Water resistant up to 30m
- 2 year warranty by Asurion
- Based on the features of the watch, it is very reasonably-priced.
- The design of the watch makes it very easy to transition from one type of occasion to another.
- The second hand may fall off after minimal use.
This watch is designed for women who are desirous of accessories that can transition seamlessly from one occasion to another. Whether you are dressed casually or are in formal attire, this watch will integrate well.
You can know that a watch is durable if it made of stainless steel, and the Daniel Wellington Women’s 0507DW Classic St. Mawes watch has a stainless steel case.
As is characteristic of Daniel Wellington watches, the watch has a white dial and the watch face is attached to brown leather bands with a buckle closure. This watch has amazing quality and a breathtaking design. The design of the watch makes it a perfect accessory for any outfit.
- 36mm watch diameter
- White dial with rose gold hands
- Analog display with quartz movement
- Round Stainless steel watch face with a stationary bezel
- Interchangeable bands
- 17mm wide brown leather strap with buckle closure
- Water resistant up to 30m
- The watch is fairly light so it will not be too heavy for everyday use.
- It is a perfect accessory for all types of outfits because of its simple yet elegant design.
- The face of the watch is not scratch resistant.
Daniel Wellington makes watches with amazing quality and this watch is no different. The combination of colors and materials makes this product a wonderful option for any woman.
Looking for a watch that is elegant, classy and timeless? You have just found it. These words are a clear description of the Michael Kors Women’s Runway Gold-Tone Watch MK131. The watch is 38mm in diameter and works with quartz movement.
It has a classic and timeless analog display which includes a date window between the positions 4 and 5 o’clock. The watch is water resistant up to 50m and its design is especially suited for formal occasions.
It is quite a statement piece. All women who love elegant, head-turning accessories will be swooning over this watch.
- Mineral dial window
- 38mm diameter watch face
- Gold tone stainless steel band (bracelet)
- Jewellery clasp closure
- Quartz movement
- Date window between 4 and 5 o’clock
- Analog display
- Water resistant up to 50m
- The watch is very inexpensive compared with the features it has to offer.
- The watch can be incorporated as a part of any outfit.
- The watch may not fit small wrists very well because it is a bit bulky.
This watch has a very formal design and will be loved by every sophisticated and classy woman. It can be easily integrated into any outfit and will be an eye-catching, head-turning accessory.
The Casio Women’s LRW200H-7BVCF Watch is very reasonably-priced. It is an-all white watch except for the numbers on the dial which are an array of pastel colors.
The watch has a very casual or sporty look complemented by a buckle closure. It is water resistant up to 100m and is perfect for women who love to be outdoors. If you are a female who loves a sporty look, you will fall in love with this watch.
- All-white watch
- 33mm diameter watch face
- Round dial with pastel numbers
- Analog display
- Japanese quartz movement
- Bidirectional bezel
- Water resistant up to 100m
- Resin bands with buckle closure
- Date window in the dial
- The watch is able to fit small hands because of the buckle closure.
- The watch will still function if it gets wet.
- The color of the band may change easily.
For a sporty look, consider this Casio option. It is perfect for extensive outdoor use and it will remain consistent and reliable with keeping the correct time.